Bathrooms may be the smallest room in the house but I think they can be the most exciting! You are really spoilt for choice now when it comes to choosing baths, basins and showers, and you can get such good deals online that there is no excuse not to update your bathroom.
These are the main points that need to be considered:
- Decide what style you want to create -eg traditional, contemporary, minimalist, 5 star hotel. Is the bathroom large enough to incorporate a “home spa” with shower cubicles, whirlpools baths? Is it going to be a guest bathroom-in which case it may only need a shower rather than a bath.
- Whatever its size, it needs to have a focal point – think of the first thing you see when you enter the room- you need to create a “wow” factor
- Use an online bathroom planning tool to make sure all the sanitary ware/ storage you want to include will fit comfortably in your space. www.bathstore.com has a good one.
- Lighting should be carefully planned to include good task lighting for shaving and applying makeup but also mood lighting to create a haven of relaxation. You will need to consider the IP ratings of any lighting/electrical appliance you choose so that if you want a great statement chandelier over the bath, it would need to be specially designed for a bathroom.
- Adequate storage is a necessity and must be factored into even the smallest bathrooms. Toileteries, cleaning materials and medicines need to be out of sight to prevent mess and clutter.
- Add interest with a designer radiator and towel rail. Beautiful as well as practical
- When choosing power or rain showers you need to take account of technicalities such as : is there sufficient water pressure, is it compatible with your existing hot water system, will it need a booster pump. A fitting of a pump will involve extra expense. Wet rooms look streamlined, as the shower trays are flush to the floor, but they need to be carefully designed so as not to create overflow. You need to get a good plumber to advise!
- Make a statement with a luxurious freestanding bath or contemporary sculptural basin
- Mosaic tiles are expensive but you can mix mosaic strips with ordinary tiles to create “wow factor”
- Last but not least, don’t forget using accessories to style your bathroom-fluffy towels, Jo Malone candles, coloured glass bottles for bubble bath.
Hopefully you’re inspired to makeover your bathroom. Or if you have no time to plan it yourself I would love to do it for you! Details can be found on my website www.dressingroomsinteriors.co.uk